- Defensins (alpha and beta) are cationic peptides with a broad spectrum of antimicrobial activity that comprise an important arm of the innate immune system. The alpha-defensins are distinguished from the beta-defensins by the pairing of their three disulfide bonds. To date, four human beta-defensins have been identified; BD-1, BD-2, BD-3 and BD-4. Beta-defensins are expressed on some leukocytes and at epithelial surfaces. In addition to their direct antimicrobial activities, they are chemoattractant towards immature dendritic cells and memory T cells. The Beta-defensin proteins are expressed as the C-terminal portion of precursors and are released by proteolytic cleavage of a signal sequence and, in the case of BD-1 (36 a.a.), a propeptide region. Beta-defensins contain a six-cysteine motif that forms three intra-molecular disulfide bonds. Beta-Defensins are 3-5 kDa peptides ranging in size from 33-47 amino acid residues. BD-3 has broad spectrum antimicrobial activity and may play an important role in innate epithelial defense. Recombinant human BD-3 produced in E. coli is a single, non-glycosylated polypeptide chain of 41 amino acids and a molecular mass of 4.6 kDa. It has been purified by proprietary chromatographic techniques.
- Product Overview
- Mouse Defb3 expressed in E.coli
- CAT# CSC-CTK0735-20 (20 μg); CAT# CSC-CTK0735-100 (100 μg)
- Greater than 98% as determined by SDS-PAGE and HPLC analysis.
- Measured by its antimicrobial activity against E. coli. The ED50 for this effect is typically 4-20 μg/ml, corresponding to a specific activity of 50,000-250,000 units/mg.
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 1 EU/μg.
- Lyophilized from a sterile-filtered (0.2 μm) concentrated protein solution in PBS (pH 7.4).
- Please centrifuge product briefly before opening the vial. Reconstitute in sterile, ultra-pure water to a concentration of 0.1-1.0 mg/ml. This solution can be diluted into other aqueous buffers and stored at -20°C for future use.
- Storage & Stability
- The lyophilized powder, though stable at room temperature for up to 3 weeks, is best stored desiccated at -20°C. Reconstituted BD-3 should be used immediately or stored in undiluted working aliquots at -20°C. For long term storage it is recommended to add a carrier protein (0.1% HSA or BSA). Avoid repeated freeze / thaw cycles.
If you use this products in your scientific publication, it should be cited in the publication as: Creative Bioarray cat no. If your paper has been published, please click here to submit the Pub Med ID of your paper to get a coupon.