- FGF-21 is a secreted growth factor that is a member of the FGF family. Proteins of this family play a central role during prenatal development and postnatal growth and regeneration of a variety of tissues, by promoting cellular proliferation and differentiation. FGF-21, in the presence of beta-Klotho as a protein cofactor, signals through the FGFR 1c and 4 receptors and stimulates insulin independent glucose uptake by adipocytes. FGF-21 is preferentially expressed in liver, but an exact knowledge of FGF-21 bioactivity and its mode of action have been lacking to date. FGF-21 is a potent activator of glucose uptake on adipocytes, protects animals from diet-induced obesity when overexpressed in transgenic mice, and lowers blood glucose and triglyceride levels when therapeutically administered to diabetic rodents. Rat recombinant Fibroblast Growth Factor -21 is a single, non-glycosylated, polypeptide chain of 180 amino acids and a molecular mass of 19.7 kDa. It has been purified by proprietary chromatographic techniques.
- Product Overview
- Rat Fgf21 expressed in E.coli
- CAT# CSC-CTK0810-20 (20 μg); CAT# CSC-CTK0810-100 (100 μg)
- Greater than 95% as determined by SDS-PAGE and RP-HPLC analysis.
- Fully biologically active when compared to standard. The ED50 as determined by a cell proliferation assay using murine NIH/3T3 cells is less than 700 ng/ml, corresponding to a specific activity of >1,400 units/mg in the presence of 5 μg/ml of rMu Klotho-beta.
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 1 EU/μg.
- White (freeze-dried) powder. Lyophilized from a ste rile-filtered (0.2 μm) concentrated protein solution in 1×PBS (pH 7.4).
- Please centrifuge product briefly before opening vial. The lyophilized protein should be reconstituted in sterile, ultra-pure water to a concentration of 0.1-1.0 mg/ml. This solution can then be diluted into other aqueous buffers and stored at -20°C for future use.
- Storage & Stability
- The lyophilized protein, though stable at room temperature for up to 3 weeks, is best stored desiccated at -20°C. Reconstituted protein should be used immediately or stored long-term in undiluted working aliquots at -20°C. For long-term storage, it is recommended to add a carrier protein (0.1% HSA or BSA). Avoid repeated freeze-thaw cycles.
If you use this products in your scientific publication, it should be cited in the publication as: Creative Bioarray cat no. If your paper has been published, please click here to submit the Pub Med ID of your paper to get a coupon.