- PEDF is a noninhibitory serpin with neurotrophic, anti-angiogenic, and anti-tumorigenic properties. It is a 50 kDa glycoprotein produced and secreted in many tissues throughout the body. A major component of the anti-angiogenic action of PEDF is the induction of apoptosis in proliferating endothelial cells. In addition, PEDF is able to inhibit the activity of angiogenic factors such as VEGF and FGF-2. The neuroprotective effects of PEDF are achieved through suppression of neuronal apoptosis induced by peroxide, glutamate, or other neurotoxins. The recent identification of a lipase-linked cell membrane receptor for PEDF (PEDF-R) that binds to PEDF with high affinity (1) should facilitate further elucidation of the underlying mechanisms of this pluripotent serpin. To date, PEDF-R is the only signaling receptor known to be used by a serpin family member. The unique range of PEDF activities implicate it as a potential therapeutic agent for the treatment of vasculature related neurodegenerative diseases such as age-related macular degeneration (AMD) and proliferative diabetic retinopathy (PDR). PEDF also has the potential to be useful in the treatment of various angiogenesis-related diseases including a number of cancers. Recombinant PEDF is a 44.5 kDa non-glycosylated protein containing 400 amino acid residues.
- Product Overview
- Human SERPINF1 expressed in E.coli
- CAT# CSC-CTK0285-20 (20 μg); CAT# CSC-CTK0285-100 (100 μg)
- Greater than 90% as determined by SDS-PAGE and HPLC analysis.
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 1 EU/μg.
- Lyophilized from 1 x PBS.
- Please centrifuge product before opening vial. The lyophilized protein should be reconstituted with distilled, sterile water to a concentration of 0.1-1.0 mg/ml. For further dilution, carrier protein (0.1% BSA or HSA) should be added to avoid loss of bioactivity.
- Storage & Stability
- The lyophilized protein, though stable at room temperature for up to 3 weeks, is best stored desiccated at -20°C. Reconstituted protein should be used immediately or stored long-term in undiluted working aliquots at -20°C. For long-term storage it is recommended to add a carrier protein (0.1% HSA or BSA). Avoid repeated freeze-thaw cycles.
If you use this products in your scientific publication, it should be cited in the publication as: Creative Bioarray cat no. If your paper has been published, please click here to submit the Pub Med ID of your paper to get a coupon.